Monday, November 14, 2011

Dress Your Little Star in Little Trendstar!


We just LOVE Little Trendstar apparel for kids! These designer tees and onesies are oh so soft, made from 100% cotton, and COMPLETELY adorable! We had a chance to chat with Nicole, the owner and designer! 


{Tell us about yourself + your business Little Trendstar.}

I have always had an entrepreneurial spirit and a love for graphic design and fashion. I studied graphic communication at the College of Creative Studies in Detroit where I was able to really learn form and function and be introduced to the aesthetics of great design. From this knowledge, I have been able to spread my passion over two separate endeavors. A few years after college, I started a graphic/web design firm, with my husband, called Formcode Design Group. We have co-owned Formcode for 11 years and in that time I have been able to do what I love every day. Although Formcode and that aspect of design is important, the artist (and fashion aficionado) in me, couldn't help but branch off into different aspects of creativity. 

Little Trendstar came about as an outlet for these two affections. It began shortly after the birth of my second son. I was tired of the selection of clothes for boys. They were seriously lacking in the design department. I am personally drawn to bold, modern lines and clean, graphic shapes. And I was finding none of that in the stores. So, with Little Trendstar I am able to take this preference and create graphic, modern t-shirts that make bold statements. I try to create shirts that I call "stage-worthy", a design that would be worthy of getting noticed. Shirts that would not only look great on my boys, but look great on any kid wearing them. 

Both of my companies have really been a great compliment to each other and I am so thankful for that. My abilities as a graphic/web designer have helped me to create the Little Trendstar website and the additional online components. And the experience I have in creating marketing materials, and art-directing photoshoots, has really helped me bring the Little Trendstar brand to life. I'm lucky to have a balance with both businesses and I love that they can thrive and grow together. 


{What inspired the name?}

The name was a bit of a play on words. I was toying around with a bunch of different options, but I wanted something to encompass the feel of the brand. I knew I wanted the brand and the design to be considered trendsetting and I knew that I wanted to play off the stage-worthy "star quality" aspect. So once I had those two components, merging them together made sense. And "little", well that word was a given! LOL. 

{When did you realize you wanted your own children's line?} 

Definitely my two boys helped push me in this direction, but children's clothing really is a great market. You have the best demographic for your designs, kids look great in everything and their spirit and personalities are so free. I can really have fun with the graphics and be open to funky and fun designs that would be hard to market on adult shirts. 

Also, every time I put my t-shirt designs on my two boys, I know I have chosen the right niche. 

{What is your best seller?}

I've been lucky that most of the designs have done well, but there are a few that I need to reorder faster than others. The Benatar, Old School, Rockabilly, and Clash are always at the top of the list. I was fortunate enough to spot a photo recently of Gwen Stefani's son, Zuma, wearing the Rockabilly tee. That design was my nod to the rockabilly sub culture and the great style that derives from that scene. It was great to see a "rockstar's" son wearing it. 


{What is up next for you?}

I'm currently working on some new designs for the spring and I'm hoping to grow the Little Trendstar brand in the future. My goal is to open it up to hoodies, beanies, and accessories down the line. And due to some interest, I have also considered offering some of my designs in adult sizes. We will see, but for now I am just enjoying the ride!

We want to thank Nicole for taking the time to chat with us! Now click your way over to the Little Trendstar website and pick up your favorite tees for your little babes! 

Also, make sure you "LIKE" Little Trendstar on their Facebook page and follow them on Twitter!

A special thank you to Rachel Florio of Rachel Florio PR for putting us in contact with Nicole!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...